KB0175: Ethernet Connection Issues using Power Saving (Green) Managed Switches – SB-100 PRO/RTC-1000/Totalpass
There are some new network switch products that have power saving features that may cause connection issues with RTC-1000, SB-100 PRO, or TotalPass time clocks. The Ethernet link lights on the clock will not activate. Managed switches may include these features:
- Ports on the switch are shut down to save power if a device is not detected or accessing the internet or the network.
- Power to the port is adjusted after analyzing the length of the Ethernet cable. Shorter lengths require less power.
Current list of known “Green” Switches that may cause issues:
- D-Link DGS-1024D Switch
- Trend Net TEG S80g Switch
- Dell Power Connect 2848
- If the time clock seems to be setup properly on the network and there is a connection issue, log into the switch and check the power settings and options associated with the port connected to the clock. Disable any power saving settings for that port.
- If the problem continues, you can try bypassing the switch or try a different switch.
- Connect an intermediate switch or hub between the clock and the managed switch to boost the signal connection strength.